Sunday, March 30, 2014

Native Plants are Hard to Find

After looking through lists of what butterflies eat, I decided that I want to plant another milkweed, a monkey flower, and a California false indigo plant.

I settled on the species Diplacus puniceus, Amorpha californica, and Asclepias californica.

Then I went online to find a place to buy them.

Las Pilitas has Diplacus puniceus, but not Asclepias californica, or Amorpha californica.

 Larner seeds has none of them, but does have Mimulus guttatus and Asclepias eriocarpa which seem like perfectly acceptable substitutes for the monkey flower and milkweed I wanted.

Theodore Payne Nursery has Amorpha californica, but neither the milkweed or monkey flower I wanted nor a suitable substitute.

Amazon.com has Asclepias californica, but not Amorpha californica or Diplacus puniceus.

No wonder so few people plant native plants, I will have to buy all three plants from separate sources or wait until I encounter them in a nursery. A lot of the problem may be California. We have everything from redwood forests with lots of rain, to deserts with almost no rain. Elevations from sea level to high mountains. That has resulted in just too many different species for one nursery to handle.

No comments: