Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Mint.com

I decided that I should try and budget sometime. Actually, not so much budget, as figure out where all my money goes. It seemed like the iphone would make it really easy to record where all my money goes and make cute little graphs and whatnot.

Sure enough, a couple minute search pulled up mint.com's free iphone app. It asked for the log in information for my bank, which somehow I convinced myself to type in. Sure enough, within minutes it had recorded my last three month's transactions and for most of my debit card purchases knew exactly where I spent money and had a pretty good guess what I was buying. Sure it made some mistakes, Ralph Gracie Jiu Jitsu became Ralphs supermarket but overall it did quite good.

I think I will record a few months of expenses and see what I find. If nothing else, recording all my spending might make me spend less. So far it has had the exact opposite impact though, I want to spend money so I have things to write in my shiny new iphone app.

No comments: