Thursday, December 29, 2011

Articles on Saving

I have seen some good arguments on investing recently.

Best is probably the article Normal People Shouldn't Need to Invest. This makes a lot of sense to me. Individual investors dramatically under perform relative to the markets even when markets do well. In times like the past decade, they get slaughtered as they buy high sell low again and again. Unfortunately with the skewed age distribution we are likely to face in the near future there just won't be enough young people to support all of those who want to retire unless productivity gains are enormous. This is true whether we use a massive social security system or try to make everyone invest money while young. So I don't know that any system whether it involved investment or not will be able to live up to expectations.

Then there is a usual rant about why you should save a whole lot more than you do. Followed by a particularly good description of what to do with your savings. I am not sure how well I have done at this, but I imagine that I have at least close to a 20% savings rate so I haven't missed the mark by so much.

No comments: