Thursday, September 8, 2011

Jerry Brown has earned my respect

I never really knew much about Jerry Brown. About the only thing I really knew about him was that he seemed more sane than the Republican he ran against.

I am starting to think I like the man though. He recently vetoed two bills which makes me respect him a whole lot more.

He vetoed a ski helmet law a few days ago with this comment:
"While I appreciate the value of wearing a ski helmet, I am concerned about the continuing and seemingly inexorable transfer of authority from parents to the state. Not every human problem deserves a law."
And vetoed a phone fine bill with this comment:
"I certainly support discouraging cell phone use while driving a car, but not ratcheting up the penalties as prescribed by this bill. For people of ordinary means, current fines and penalty assessments should be sufficient deterrent."
They still allow politicians to say things like this? I thought this was the sort of thing only Republicans would spout in between shouting that the war on drugs and the war on terror means you should give up all rights and let the Federal government run your life. The democrat party needs to come up with a few hundred politicians willing to take stands like this. Maybe then we can get our priorities in order.

No comments: