Saturday, February 26, 2011

No more cards

I finally managed to dig my way out of credit cards. After something like three years where I could not pay off the full balance my tax return was finally enough to dig my way out of the last of the debt. I was even able to send a $2000 check to my student loans.

What to do with savings now is a bit less clear to me. I have 8k in student loans. However looking at their interest rates I am only paying 6.5% fixed or 2.2% variable rates. This is nothing like what the credit cards used to cost me. Total interest is under $500 a year. Still, an absolutely certain investment of even this return beats putting the money in a bank by quite a bit. I also have a strong phobia of debt and would much prefer to be paying absolutely none of it before I buy a house.

On the other hand, if I started saving now I am likely to get a pretty good down payment in time for the bottom of the Southern California real estate market. That really could save me more than paying off the student loans would.

No comments: