Monday, June 21, 2010

The End of Men

The Atlantic has a fairly entertaining article titled The End of Men. I must admit to having seen a lot of the trends they talk about. I rather suspect this is temporary, men will move into new industries and do just fine. However I am not entirely convinced. Society usually seems to have segregated sex roles to some degree or another. It wouldn't surprise me that much if so many women going to college and getting jobs gets that behavior labeled as girly.

I once joked with a female doctor I know that men were trying to set up the same sex roles as male lions. The hard part was convincing women they actually wanted to do all the crappy jobs we were stuck with, we seem to have done a pretty good job of that already though. Pretty soon we will be able to just sit around playing video games, confident in the knowledge our women will take care of us.

More seriously, this trend probably has helped me more than any other. It seems to me that being a good student has been labeled as girly, making dating while in school a whole lot harder for guys than girls. I could have had a much better late teens and early twenties joining the military, or trying to become a police officer or fire fighter. However having a good job is still considered masculine, so after you get through that hump dating gets a whole lot easier.

1 comment:

Become a police officer said...

Making a career as a police officer is not as easy as it may sound you initially. This is one of the few professions where you may require performing your duties for many long and often physically draining hours. But the career of a police officer is very rewarding and fulfilling.