Thursday, February 12, 2009

Violent Crime

Reading another article trying to make it look like today's teenagers are more violent than previous ones drives me out of my mind. I couldn't help but look up real statistics, even though I am sure I have posted some before. Any way you look at it the current generation is a great deal better behaved than previous ones. Every so often the media tries to cover the issue, but usually it just looks really hard for that one rate where we are getting worse at while ignoring everything we improve at.





Here is about the best I could do to show the dramatic decrease in teen pregnancy rates:



Oh, and we are also more educated than at any time in the history of the country(you may have to click on it to see the whole graph, blogger does poor at image formatting):




Then of course there is the Flynn Effect. Apart from being less violent, and more educated we have the higher IQ scores to go along. That works out to about 3 IQ points a decade. So on average children will have a 6-12 point IQ than their parents once they get to their mid teenage years when IQ points reach their adult levels.

No comments: