Monday, November 17, 2008

Planted 29 Gallon Aquarium

I rather abandoned this aquarium since I will be moving and not taking it with me. It currently has no filter, or other equipment except for a light and a heater. The fish however seem to have held up alright, and I still have 6 black tetras and 9 neons as well as one cherry shrimp which held on all this time. Algae is a real issue though, I would have needed to get cherry shrimp breeding in the tank, as well as some Amano shrimp and a filter to get that under control. Someday I will probably try to do a planted tank right, if with almost no effort(I have changed a total of perhaps six gallons of water since getting this tank) I can get things to turn out this well, I imagine if I didn't hold out on what is needed I could have an impressive system.











My best plan for my next creation is a species tank for an Undulated Triggerfish. They are about as far from peaceful tetra tanks as you can get. Stories of them killing groupers several times their size or sharks are rather common. Typically the result of someone buying one is it stays nice and calm for a few months--than one day you come back and you have only one remaining fish. Keeping one alone though would result in an aquarium that I could drop live crawfish, sea urchins, shrimp, clams, and other such critters into for my own entertainment. Sounds like fun.

No comments: