Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Finding Dive Sites:

Justus is in Florida, and I am not. Because of this I have spent a bunch of time online looking at dive sites I wish I was at. As a result of this I just found out about an amazing use for google maps. Finding dive sites!

Often in Florida you are simply looking for anything but sand. Sand can be somewhat interesting, lots of rays, and schools of fish come every so often. But it is not anywhere near as impressive as a reef. Usually the technique is to sit on the shore and look for black dots in the water. That sort of works. But, for example, it took me quite some time at red reef park to find the little blocks of rock on the big beach.

However take a look at google maps. Sure enough, one look and I can see the submerged rocks.


View Larger Map

I can even look at a more zoomed in image of it.


View Larger Map

Knowing that in advance makes it seem a whole lot easier to find.



Now to show off here is the massive Breakers Reef:


View Larger Map

and a zoom in on a tiny section of it:


View Larger Map

And the reef at Dania Beach


View Larger Map


John U Loyd State Park


View Larger Map


Sadly it isn't much use in California due to the poor quality pictures, and lack of water clarity.

Here is one of my favorite dive sites, at coral street in Monterey.



View Larger Map

No comments: